New Delhi: The federal government is all set to implement necessary hallmarking of gold jewelry and artefacts from June 1, 2021. The Centre had in November 2019, introduced that hallmarking of gold jewelry and artefacts can be made necessary throughout the nation from January 15, 2021. However the deadline was prolonged for 4 months until June 1 after the jewellers sought extra time to implement within the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
India is the most important importer of gold, which primarily caters to the demand of the jewelry business. In quantity phrases, the nation imports 700-800 tonne of gold yearly.
Here’s what Necessary gold hallmarking means for you
1. Gold hallmarking is a purity certification of the valuable steel and is voluntary in nature at current.
2. From June 1, jewellers will likely be allowed to promote solely 14, 18 and 22 carats of gold jewelry.
3. The BIS is already working a hallmarking scheme for gold jewelry since April 2000, and round 40 per cent of gold jewelry is being hallmarked at present.
4. In keeping with the BIS, the necessary hallmarking will shield the general public towards decrease caratage and guarantee customers don’t get cheated whereas shopping for gold ornaments and get the purity as marked on the ornaments.
5. In 2020, the federal government had launched the net system of Registration and Renewal of Jewellers and on-line system of recognition and renewal of the Assaying and Hallmarking Centres. This on-line system may be accessed by means of Bureau of Indian Requirements net portal www.manakonline.in. The perfect factor concerning the on-line system is that there will likely be no human interface in processing the purposes. Jewellers can apply on-line and submit required needed paperwork and charges for acquiring a licence by means of this on-line portal. The second a jeweller submits the appliance with the requisite charges, he will likely be granted registration. A mail and SMS alert will go to him, informing Registration Quantity, after which he can obtain and print the Certificates of Registration utilizing the Registration Quantity.